Getting Back My Social Life as a Parent

Q: How can I have a social life now as a parent? A:Having a social life and time for yourself is difficult as a parent. Taken from experience, when I gave birth to my last son, I felt all my time and energy should be spent on my kids in order to be a good parent. Well, I was wrong. Instead, I was dealing with major stress, not able to mange time at all, and health and mental problems. Every parent should have some “me time” and social life, even if it’s limited. Don’t think and feel your kids will be your best friend because you need to be a parent not their best friend. They will have their own friends as they get older. Here are a few tips to get your “me time”:


Relax and socialize while your kids take a nap or go to bed at night. Call your friends via phone or internet while they sleep. You will be able to vent some stress from the long day and catch up on some things.

Get a babysitter at least twice a month and go do something you enjoy. Go to the movies, out to a restaurant or anything just enjoy yourself. Take your significant other or friend to socialize with.

Go with a friend who also have kids and make a playdate. As your kids are playing, you can also socialize as parents and you both will have something in common to talk about.

For relaxation engage your children in yoga. Yoga is a great way to relax and exercise all in one. As they participate it also relaxes them and uses some energy as well.

Social life as a parent can be challenging but everyone needs it. Just because you are a parent doesn’t mean you have to shelter yourself, it doesn’t benefit you or your children. If you have any comments or questions feel free to leave them and I will respond in a post. Thank You and God Bless.

Comments